Sunday, June 21, 2009

Jeux d'enfants - "Love me if you dare" [French 2003]


Watched the beautiful French comedy ‘Love me if you dare’. Man, French idea of love is so eclectic that it shows in every shot. After watching French movies I wonder how come these people ever compete with brits in colonization, they are just not meant to be doing that dull things with their lives.

After watching Amelie and half a dozen other flicks, now I know what to expect before I click play in my VLC player. You get yourself ready for joyride of visually treated vivid visualisations and transitions of shots and breathe-taking handling of otherwise pedestrian plots.

A lot of times, I realised these movies involve a voice talking in the background and collage of animation, mixing, other media forms intelligently used in support to the narrative. I have seen a bad copy of this style in Hindi film ‘kidnap’ (Yaak!) with no distinct style of sketching but like a one lazy afternoon doodling of some amateur artist.
Although folks like Torintino make most of it…they take such innovative ideas of story-telling to mainstream audience in amazingly well crafted “ ”


Having seen extreme romantics like Korean my sassy girl etc etc where characters and story is nothing but loosely held incidences and moments which takes you in their embrace without you realising.

“love me if you dare” is of the same kind. In fact the story is about a game of ‘I dare’ Sophie and Julian play … and how it becomes a common thread of their lives. With time becomes only stronger. And at some time in their lives, after realising the futility in disillusioned but ‘normal’ life, they both resume the game. A similar theme I see running into movies these days – “Lot like love” . Either we are running out of originality in the name of inspirations or plagiarism or it is becoming un-denying fact of today’s life that two people go through ‘a lot’ before realising who is ‘the’ person to lead their life with.

One more thing, with ‘reach for certain bit of knowledge’ becoming too easy, only once in a while we see original screenplays. We have to exceedingly rely on handling of movie making or reinterpretation by creative mind when lights go on and you walk out on the velvet floor.

No comments:

My Flickr