Thursday, December 13, 2007

Freeing the Social Networks

I was going through some of the recent web2.0 mash ups at a site that keeps the log of all web20 ventures ...'everything 2.0'. I realize everyother guy now wants to start a social networking site/app with little or nothing new to offer. It makes me think, why not to decouple the actual social network from the client I am viewing/managing it with. This way I get a good choice to switch and use new and fresh apps without having to spend time to bring it up-to-date and without having to send mass invites.

It should be like portability of an address book.

It's a classical question about service provider and service. If orkut holds all my contacts and I want to switch to facebook; the transition should be one-click.
Only interface and features should change.

There is clear and present need for a client independent social network, the way 'meeboo' lets to chat with Yahoo!, MSN, AOL, and Google talk. Thats being real user centric and valuing the freedom of his choice.

This a right time for freeing social networks from the tyranny of the early entrants and allowing more feature to bloom and co-exist with the old.

Is it same as number portability in telecom industry; the way I can switch from Idea to hutch, keeping my cell number same.

No comments:

My Flickr